October 22, 2008

Crossing the Gila towards Turkey Creek

Wow! I just spent 6 days and some 45 miles hiking across from the Alum Camp to the Turkey Creek Hotsprings, on trails that were sometimes barely visible or even plainly invisible because of being so rarely used. Of course I got lost a few times and found myself deep in canyons that I sometimes couldn't go through because of their clutteredness or steepness. Oh well, I just climbed back up and tried the next canyon, knowing that one of them would eventually lead to the main Turkey Creek, along which are some of the best (and hottest!) hotsprings around. I hiked Bushy mountains, came down to Turkey Park, Miller spring and then went off the map into a series of canyons, bushwacking and bouncing my butt through uncharted terrain, following both the water and my GPS reading to finally emerge at Turkey Creek, the most beautiful and friendly canyon in the Gila yet. The variety of vegetation in this short hike was outstanding, starting in pinon and ponderosa and ending up in elm, oak and cotton wood forest. I felt the most serene and content during this traverse, not encountering much big wildlife, but instead being gifted with the most astonishing and luscious colors of my whole journey. The creek level was low so the river crossings did not necessitate any change of shoes expect towards the end when the river gets bigger after merging into the Gila. I met a pair of old timers on their mules hunting elk and had a lovely chat with them while scratching the inside of the mules ears, which I know they love... I slept under the stars every night, cooked myself a hot lunch everyday (versus trail mix and energy bars as on the way down the Continental Divide) and really let the magical light of this place and season get deep into me. I knew before leaving Santa Fe that this place was calling me to heal me in a very special way. Even though my body aches from a still troublesome ankle and not sleeping well on my tiny mattress, my soul is pulsating with an innocence and joy that she hasn't felt for some time now. I give thanks to the Spirit guardians of this incredible sanctuary, and to the people who had the insight to preserve it untouched in 1926.
Slideshow
Foot bath

1 comment:

J. Robert Garcia said...

I can not tell you how envious I am of your hike to Turkey Creek Hot Springs!
I just got back two days ago. My friend and I hiked 4 hours. For some reason, someone had told me it was only a 2 - 3 hours hike. After 4 hours up Turkey Creek we looked at the time and it was going on 2pm. Not knowing how much further we had to go, we decided to turn around because of the oncoming nightfall.
We were discouraged! We had planned this for awhile but 'no beans'.
I would sure appreciate it if you happen to have GPS coordinates.