October 13, 2008

Hiking the Gila Wilderness

I just spent 10 days exploring the Middle Fork and West Fork of the Gila river, as well as many side canyons. The place is mind-blowing in its beauty, bounty and diversity. The canyons are lush and moist to perfection, with huge oak, cottonwood and ponderosa trees, while the upper mesas are bone dry but rich in pinon and juniper trees, as well as prickly pear cactus. All the berries, wild grapes and nuts are ripe. I am having a feast! The other evening, I saw my first ever Great Horned Owl. She called me while I was hiking a small canyon near where I was camped and I spotted her within a minute. We looked at each other for a long while before she silently flew off into the forest. The hotsprings are many along the Gila river, and they have done wonders on my swollen ankle. It's almost back to normal now. I'm in Silver City, modifying my gear as the frost is here and the river crossings are many...
I am getting ready for another week of meandering through this astonishing 4 million acres preserve. I'll be heading to the Turkey Creek hotsprings and then back to the Gila hotsprings to rendez-vous with my beloved friend Jennie and her son Rowan who are coming from Santa Fe. I plan to mentor my 31/2 year-old little friend in the art of trout fishing!
I am in good spirit and getting much inspiration from this journey, as well as regaining my vitality and breathing with a lighter heart. With the sun setting around 7PM, I have read more books in a month than during the last entire year! So far I have read The Far Side of Paradise a biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Red Tent, A Farewell to Arms (Hemingway) and Letters from the Earth (Mark Twain).

Slideshow
Video clip 1 Thunder in the Canyons at night (turn your volume way up!)
Video clip 2 A luscious spring
Video clip 3 Hiking a side canyon
Video clip 4 Descending Little Bear Canyon towards the West Fork of the Gila river

No comments: