October 2, 2008

Out of the Woods

I don't know where to start to describe my 2 1/2 weeks adventure but I will say that I am in awe of those long distance hikers who do the entire 2,800 mile journey from Canada to Mexico, either on the Continental Divide Trail of the Pacific Coast Trail.
After two days my left ankle was aching so bad that I considered giving up and was having a terrible time facing the prospect of abandoning the journey.
I am glad I did not! I will write about the experience when I have a chance but for now I will leave you with these pictures. I encountered many creatures that I did not have time to photograph. A bear, a wolf, a coyotte, antelopes, mule deer, elks and birds of all kinds. I am heading inside the Gila Wilderness to camp near some remote hotsprings for a while. I need to nurse those feet.
I think these 250 miles of desert walk were a preparation for a deeper immersion into the wild forest and canyons of the Gila, home of Geronimo, one of my heroes...
More later.
Love

No comments: